fredag 30 januari 2015

Pieces of you

  Veckans Musikfredag gästas av två världsstjärnor. Den ena är uppväxt i Alaska och har gett oss flera oförglömliga hits. Hennes debutalbum "Pieces of you" är ett världens bäst säljande debutalbum genom historien. Hon har dessutom lyckats väl inom olika musikgenrer. 
  Den andra artisten är Islands mest kända person. Hennes betydelse för musikhistorien är jämförbar med Beatles och Bob Dylan. I kväll är det kärleken som besjungs i bloggen.


Jewel Kilcher

  Jewel Kilcher, med artistnamnet Jewel, född 23 maj 1974, är en amerikansk sångare och låtskrivare. Jewel föddes i Payson i Utah, men växte huvudsakligen upp hos sin pappa i Homer i Alaska. Hon och hennes far tjänade ibland uppehälle genom att sjunga i barer och värdshus. Under de senare tonåren så bodde hon i sin skåpvagn och reste runt och spelade. Hon vann renommé genom att sjunga på Innerchange Coffehouse i San Diego, Kalifornien. Det var vid ett sådant uppträdande som hon upptäcktes i augusti 1994. Källa: Wikipedia

  Redan sex månader senare släpptes hennes historiska debutalbum, Pieces of you, som än idag är ett av musikhistoriens bäst säljande debutalbum. Låtarna på plattan har åldrats väl och jag ger er i kväll sånglyriken, samt ett ljudklipp, till "Foolish games". Den gavs ut för tjugo år sedan men texten är ständigt tillämpbar för att beskriva kärleksrelationer. Det kan jag skriva under på!


Foolish games, performed by Jewel
(Text & Music: Jewel Kilcher. From "Pieces of you". Label: Atlantic, 1995.)

You took your coat off and stood in the rain,
You're always crazy like that.
And I watched from my window,
Always felt I was outside looking in on you.
You're always the mysterious one with
Dark eyes and careless hair,
You were fashionably sensitive
But too cool to care.
You stood in my doorway, with nothing to say
Besides some comment on the weather.

Well in case you failed to notice,
In case you failed to see,
This is my heart bleeding before you,
This is me down on my knees, and...

These foolish games are tearing me apart,
And your thoughtless words are breaking my heart.
You're breaking my heart.

You're always brilliant in the morning,
Smoking your cigarettes and talking over coffee.
Your philosophies on art, Baroque moved you.
You loved Mozart and you'd speak of your loved ones
As I clumsily strummed my guitar.

You'd teach me of honest things,
Things that were daring, things that were clean.
Things that knew what an honest dollar did mean.
I hid my soiled hands behind my back.
Somewhere along the line, I must've got
Off track with you. [Den här versen togs bort i radioversionen, min kommentar.]

Well, excuse me, guess I've mistaken you for somebody else,
Somebody who gave a damn,
Somebody more like myself.

These foolish games are tearing me apart,
And your thoughtless words are breaking my heart.
You're breaking my heart.

You took your coat off,
Stood in the rain,
You're always crazy like that.

*

  Jewel har även gett ut en diktsamling, A night without armor (1998). Ur den citerar jag två dikter.

So just kiss me, by Jewel Kilcher
(from A night without armor : poems. New York : HarperCollins Publishers, 1998.)

So just kiss me and let my hair
messy itself in your fingers

tell me nothing needs to be done -
no clocks need winding

There is no bell without a voice
needing to borrow my own

instead, let me steady myself
in the arms

of a man who won't ask me to be
what he needs, but lets me exist

as I am

   a blonde flame
   a hurricane

wrapped up
in a tiny body

that will come to his arms
like the safest harbor

    for mending

*

I am not from here, by Jewel Kilcher
(from A night without armor : poems. New York : HarperCollins Publishers, 1998.)

I am not from here,
my hairs smells of the wind
and is full of constellations
and I move about this world
with a healthy disbelief
and approach my days and my work
with vaporous consequence
    a touch that is translucent
    but can violate stone.

***

  Björk Guðmundsdóttir, känd under sitt förnamn och artistnamn Björk, född 21 november 1965 i Reykjavik, Island, är en isländsk sångerska, kompositör, musiker och skådespelerska.
  Björk inledde sin solokarriär i början av 1990-talet och har sedan dess byggt upp en varierad och experimentell musikstil, präglad av sin uttrycksfulla sångstil och sitt breda sopranläge. Hennes eklektiska stil har blivit populär inom en rad olika genrer, däribland rock, jazz, elektronisk dansmusik, folk och klassisk musik. Hon har vunnit pris för Best Actress Award vid 2000 års Cannes Film Festival för sin roll i musikalfilmen Dancer in the Dark.
  Björk blev vinnare av Polarpriset 2010 tillsammans med Ennio Morricone. Källa: Wikipedia

  Hennes nionde, och senaste, studioalbum "Vulnicura" släpptes den 20 januari. Det handlar om uppbrottet från partnern Matthew Barney, som hon har en son tillsammans med. Flera recensenter har fastnat för texten till Atom Dance (sjunde spåret), så har även jag.

Atom dance, performed by Björk
(Text & Music: Björk. From "Vulnicura". Label: One Little Indian, 2015.)

We are each other's hemispheres

I am fine tuning my soul
To the universal wavelength
No-one is a lover alone
I propose an atom dance
Our hearts are coral reefs in low tide
Love is the ocean we crave
Restlessly turning around and around
I am dancing towards transformation
Learning by love to open it all
Let this ugly wound relief
We fear unconditional heart space
Healed by atom dance

When you feel the flow as primal love
Enter the pain and dance with me!
We are each other's hemispheres

We aim at peeling off dead layers of loveless love
No-one is a lover alone
Most hearts fear their own home
Come in themselves fully
It scares them all

When you feel the flow as primal love
Enter the pain and dance with me!

No-one is a lover alone, no-one
Most hearts fear their own home

You are my same hemisphere, hemisphere
The atoms are dancing, dancing
Atoms are laughing at last
At last

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar