onsdag 15 juni 2016

The twists and turns that life delivers

  Den sjunde staten i min presentation av Poet Laureates är Florida. Förra året utnämndes Peter Meinke till en treårig period. Jag har läst hans rätt vassa och fyndiga texter i boken Lucky bones.

***

  Peter Meinke föddes 1932 i Flatbush, Brooklyn, New York. Han är poet och novellförfattare. Peter Meinke tog en BA vid Hamilton College och sedan tjänstgjorde han två år i armén, under vilken tid han var stationerad i Würzburg, Tyskland. Han tog senare en MA vid University of Michigan och en doktorsgrad vid University of Minnesota. Sedan lång tid tillbaka är han bosatt i St. Petersburg, Florida. Källa: Poetry Foundation

  Det är uppenbart att Peter Meinke gillar att leka med ord och uttryck. I boken Lucky Bones finns flera exempel på hur han dissekerar latinska fraser. Min favorit är följande dikt om Hippokrates sentens 'konsten är lång, livet är kort'. Beklagligt nog så kan den inte nomineras till årets dikt eftersom boken gavs ut 2014.

Ars longa, vitta brevis
av Pieter van Steenwyck (1615-1666)

Ars longa, vita brevis / Peter Meinke
(from Lucky bones. Pittsburgh, Pa. : Universirty of Pittsburgh Press, 2014.)

Now that I’ve reached the age
when I stumble up the stage
for my job-concluding pin
every evening out’s a chore
Looking forward to my gin
I think with resigned regret
as I trip the final step
my vita’s not so brevis any more

Mortúus my youthful storms
all melancholy gone
those clouds are sucked away
on soundtracks of Marianne
and Eleanor Rigby dreams
I remember a ribbon on the floor
but what were my girl friends’ names?
My sweetheart isn’t Mavis anymore

America rolls like a pig
in dirty oil and gore
My country my pig I shout
to the stars whose blinking snouts
and planetary snuffles
uproot the universe
as they gather galactic truffles . . .
My mentis isn’t compos any more

Looking around the world
why do I feel so gay
when I’m not gay at all
A martini’s not strong enough
to block the world’s fat fist
so what’s the olive for
and the lemon’s bitter twist?
My gravitas curls groveling on the floor

I dream of my old aunts still
bending over their cards
Nana and Lizzie and Lil
They pressed me against their hearts
I could hardly get my breath
Then they shooed me out the door
to my certain death:
My vita’s not so brevis any more

***

  Hans poesi anses vara kvick, mörk och formellt säker. Tematiskt utforskar han familj, vardag och politik i sina dikter. I en intervju för Artsmania uttryckte han "jag är mer av en grannskapspoet än en poet från Södern". Källa: Poetry Foundation

A song impossible to sing, by Peter Meinke
(from Lucky bones. Pittsburgh, Pa. : Universirty of Pittsburgh Press, 2014.)

Nothing matters my darlings my little ones
though the moon mimes magic in the Spanish moss
and the oaks twist like hearts beside our home

At the end at bottom lies the rigid stone
while the brief wind makes the branches toss
in the live oaks twisting by our home



And all falls to zero for our fevered bones
with their burden of a heart like an albatross:
Nothing matters my darlings my little ones

I wouldn't have you sorry when I'm gone:
Where nothing's there to gain where's the loss?
Just the live oaks twisting by our home

and the leaves piling on and piling on
in our yard where the bright schoolchildren cross
Nothing matters my darlings my little ones

It's a pittance that I leave for your inheritance
but the trees have a lesson here for us:
Nothing matters my darlings my little ones
to the oaks' twisted hearts around our home

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar