måndag 12 december 2016

Trace him in the wilderness

  "Split this rock" är en pålitlig bokinspiratör. Det har jag skrivit om förut. Tyvärr har måndagarna haltat under november och antalet inlägg reducerats. Eventuellt tar jag igen något av dem i veckan efter jul. Dagens bok, The spectral wilderness, är författad av Oliver Baez Bendorf.

  Som om det är inte nog så placerar jag Arne Johnsson i adventskalendern, introducerad med en dikt.

står på gatan, pengar, kort, mobil i handen. Jag känner
ingen här, språket är tömt. Hunden skäller åter, minns barndomens bygata, gårdarna med bandhundar, dofterna av djur, foder, jord, det kippar av väta under sulorna; det har gått så lång tid, jag vet inte vart allt tar vägen, om det är här det slutar, om det här är det börjar. Säger åter att jag inte tror på någonting, men var sanningen är vet jag inte, den uppenbaras inte heller här, inte i grus, inte i vatten. Jag ser hur snön och isen löses till väta. Dagen är inte varm, ändå tinar mark fram, likt minne ur glömska

(Ur Reidjz, av Arne Johnsson. Stehag : Östlings bokförlag Symposion, 2010.)

***

  Oliver Baez Bendorf (f. 1987 Iowa) är en queer och trans poet, serietecknare, lärare och bibliotekarie.
  Hans diktsamling, The Spectral Wilderness (Kent State University Press 2015) valdes av Mark Doty för Wick Poetry Prize. Han har en MFA i poesi och en MA i biblioteks- och informationsvetenskap, båda från University of Wisconsin-Madison, där han erhöll Martha Meier Renk Distinguished Graduate Fellowship i poesi.

Oliver Baez Bendorf

I Promised Her My Hands Wouldn’t Get Any Larger, by Oliver Baez Bendorf
(From The spectral wilderness : poems. Kent, Ohio : Kent State University Press, 2015.)

But she’s decided we need to trace them in case I
turn out to be wrong. Every morning she wakes me
with a sheet of paper. In the beginning, she stowed
all the tracings in a folder, until one day I said I’d like
to at least see where this is going, and from that point on
we hung them on the wall chronologically. When I
study them, they look back at me like busted
headlights. I wear my lab coat around the house to
make sure they know who’s observing whom. If we
can ensure records, if we can be diligent in our
testing. I wrap my fingers around her wrist. Nothing
feels smaller yet. Not her, not the kettle nor the key.
If my hands do grow, they should also be the kind
that can start a fire with just a deer in the road.

***

  Den här läsupplevelsen kommer att leva kvar länge i mitt minne. Det känns som om någon har tryckt in Lynda Barry och Sherlock Holmes i ett garnityrverktyg och ut ur andra änden kom Oliver Baez Bendorfs texter.


Split it Open Just to Count the Pieces, by Oliver Baez Bendorf
(From The spectral wilderness : poems. Kent, Ohio : Kent State University Press, 2015.)

One might consider that identification is always an ambivalent process.
       — Judith Butler

Call me tumblefish, rip-roar, pocket of light,
haberdash and milkman, velveteen and silverbreath,
your bitch, your little brother, Ponderosa pine,
almanac and crabshack and dandelion weed. Call me
babyface, kidege—little bird or little plane—thorn of rose
and loaded gun, a pile of walnut shells. Egg whites
and sandpaper, crown of Gabriel, hand-rolled sea,
call me cobblestone and half-pint, your Spanish
red-brick empire. Call me panic and Orion, Pinocchio
and buttercream. Saltlick, shooting star, August peach
and hurricane. Call me giddyup and Tarzan, riot boy
and monk, flavor-trip and soldier and departure.
Call me Eiffel Tower, arrondissement, le garçon,
call me the cigarette tossed near the leak
of gasoline. Call me and tell me that Paris is on fire at last,
that the queens of Harlem can have their operations
and their washing machines. Call me seamless,
call me sir. Call me tomorrow’s inevitable sunrise.

***

  Och jag sparar den bästa dikten till sist. Går det att skriva en bättre dikt på temat "självbild"?

Make believe, by Oliver Baez Bendorf
(From The spectral wilderness : poems. Kent, Ohio : Kent State University Press, 2015.)


The first time I took a razor to my face

I forgot what I was made of. Having
made believe all I could, I made believe

a little further, pulling the open blade

around the corner of my lips, watching
a few desolate strands fall to the sink

like soldiers in a porcelain trench,

or as with invisible ink drew myself
a mustache I could get behind.

Or I am made up of fanciful scraps

and small fingers, one for every time
I’ve ever been called Sir.

Tomorrow I’ll get a prescription

is what I’ve resolved every day since
the last June solstice drained the light

from the sky and passerines remembered

they had wings. In the woods I walk
figure eights around ground shrubs

that cling to the cold grass below

and remind myself: no guarantees.
It’s true, some days I want the beard

in writing, want to know that when

I needle myself every fourteen
days, all the hundred jagged things

that give me away will start to shift

and this traveling itch will disappear
for good. But it happens as a gradient

so I wait like small hands cupped. I wait

in character, hips pointing the way,
shoulders broad like a wingspan.

I wait at the outskirts of regulation

with my Stetson and Wranglers for
the oak trees and the sheep herd

and the waiter and the goat vet

and the teapot and the snowstorm
and my father and my father’s father

and the children I pass in the field

to see me as this new soft man
and for me to begin to believe it.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar